Museum Gallery #2 (AP 2D)

I'm submitting Cultural Convention gallery as my second museum/gallery visit of 2D :)

Takeaway #1: Different approaches to/processes in art 

I learned so much about how IB works in general. Apparently, there's a really big research component and the final work isn't weighted as heavily as the research and thought that goes into it. I think that ideology is really interesting as opposed to the AP format (which feels a little make, make, make sometimes. This is nice, but I like the idea of having a lot of research going into specific choices). I think this is something I'd like to explore next semester as I continue to work on my sustained investigation. 

Takeaway #2: More things qualify as art than I think 

  

I saw this really cool character design piece, and I just wanted to recognize how I hadn't really considered character design art before. I mean, I think I knew it was, but I hadn't thought about how specific choices in clothing, hair, etc. can portray a person even if there isn't a backstory. That sort of awakening was really cool! I don't know if I'll be doing any character design this year, especially because it doesn't really fit with my sustained, but it could definitely be interesting to play with in the future. 

Takeaway #3: Disinclusion of detail can be just as powerful as the inclusion of detail






So, usually, I really like work that is super detailed. I think it looks really powerful and makes a real impact on me. However, during, Cultural Convention, I saw this piece that was so cool and purposefully undetailed. It really engaged me because it made the subject of the painting feel almost less human in a sense, like the artist wanted me to feel less personally connected to them. I thought that was a really interesting technique and it's something I'd love to apply to my sustained investigation—sometimes being in a large crowd on public transport can make you feel like just another face in the crowd. 

Takeaway #4: Lighting plays such an integral role in composition 



I saw this piece in the exhibit and it made me think about how important lighting is in composition. Like, I don't think this piece would work as well without the light pouring out of the window because of how that light really frames the subject. I don't think I've ever considered how integral lighting is to making sure a piece's composition works and I'll definitely keep that in mind as I move forward with my sustained.

Ok thank you for reading :))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Headache Medicine Clinical Trial

English Formative Reflection: Q1