AP 3D: Start Up Blog Post

Goals

Personal Goal: This year I genuinely hope to be more present with my own emotions. Last year I felt like I let things just wash over me, recognising them but almost too exhausted to actually be in the moment and feel as freely as I'd like to. I plan to ask myself every day about how I really felt about things, and not explain any unhappiness with "it was just a bad day". This year, I not only plan to actively seek out things that make me happy, I'm going to make it a point to speak up and try my best to eradicate things that deter me from happiness.

Also this isn't related but I'd like to start standing straighter. I've been slouching since middle school because of how self conscious I used to feel and I want to break the habit. If you see me slouching, please feel more than free to tell me to stop! 

Course Goal: I want to have fun. I feel like AP Drawing was really good, but I got really caught off guard with some admin work (eg spreadsheets) I had to do and ended up feeling like I was slipping. This year, I want to stay as on top as possible, like editing photos as I go and making sure I'm up to date with my concentration, so I can focus most of my energy on just living life and making art in the most enjoyable, worry-free way possible :)


Elements and Principles of Art


  • Lines define the edges of shapes or form. 
  • Shape is a 2D area enclosed by lines. It can be geometric or organic. 
  • Form is a shape that gives the illusion that it takes up 3D space. 
  • Space is the illusion of objects having depth on a 2D surface. 
  • Color is seen by the way light reflects off a surface and is interpreted by our brains. 
  • Value is the lightness or darkness of a surface or color. It is an important part of making a form look 3D. 
  • Texture is a surface feel or simulated appearance of roughness, smoothness, and other textures. 

Color Wheel

Image result for color wheel





Your Definition of Art 

I remember typing a response to this exact question in freshman year and saying that "art is made with feeling to evoke feeling", or another one of those generic answers. Now, especially after AP Drawing last year, I know feel like that idea is somewhat narrow and not holistic — where is the mention of the people who support you along the way? The crazy cable-like jumble of thoughts that whiz around while you make? Where is the darned process? Ah, there it is. There's the word. Process. As far as I know at the moment, art is a process. Of course, you're making your piece and that itself is a process, but in my opinion that's not the process which defines art — it's process of doing and undoing and hesitating and being pushed out of a nest by the people who want the best for you, of crying on shoulders and then being the shoulder to cry on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Headache Medicine Clinical Trial

English Formative Reflection: Q1