Color Pencil - Holidays (Dandiya)




50% Peer Critique (Sept 28/2016)

My peer critique group really liked the colouring of my first dandiya stick, especially with the red and green contrast on the sticks themselves. They also really liked the story behind it, because the dandiya festival represents the first time I really felt included in my school in India. They wanted to know about how I was gonna fill the space compositionally and how much of the raw mat board was going to be exposed. These are concerns I already had, and so I told them I would fill it with the earrings that I was really excited to wear that day and the space above the sticks with a pattern. Close to none of my raw mat board will show, as I'll put at least a light layer of color on top of everything. 





100% Peer Critique (Oct 5/2016)

My critique group really liked the contrast in my piece with the red and the green, and they also really liked the opacity of the color all over the piece. I told them about my concerns before about not enough space being filled compositionally, and they thought that it definitely improved once I added the earrings and extended the other dandiya stick. However, they felt that the shadows could use improvement. They kind of stick out as not as opaque and kind of warped. 




Self Reflection 

When I heard the theme was holidays for this unit, I really couldn't come up with an idea instantly. My family celebrates holidays kind of quietly and without much fuss, so I didn't really have anything to go off of in the beginning. It took a lot of thinking but I was finally reminded of a time a holiday made me feel really happy, and that was during the Indian festival Dandiya in third grade. Dandiya Raas is a celebration in northern India where people all get together and dance and make music with dandiya sticks (pictured above). I had just moved to India from America a little while back and never truly felt a part of the culture in school, but on this day I felt really included and truly a part of the spirit. To represent that day, I chose my dandiya sticks and a pair of earrings which I was really, really excited about wearing because those were the two things that really stuck out in my memory of that day. 

As for the medium,  I had never worked with color pencils seriously before this unit and was kinda scared as to how it would go, especially because there was no way to really erase mistakes. However, I really liked working with them! It was a great break from all the boring black and white of the first two units and it was really satisfying to see color gliding smoothly across the board. I think that I layered my colors really well, using purples, blues, greens and browns in my shadowy areas to create more interest than a matte black. I also like how opaque I was able to make the color and the contrast between the red and green. One thing that I could improve would be the amount of negative space, because there is a lot of it. I feel I could've easily removed some of that negative space by zooming in to my picture a little bit more. Another thing would be making my shadows more shapely, as their wonkiness kind of takes away from the piece. 

Comments

  1. this is the best drawing i've ever seen because the color gradation in both the background and dandiya sticks was AMAZING, it really made the sticks pop because of the contrast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Headache Medicine Clinical Trial

English Formative Reflection: Q1