Poetry Analysis

Where I’m from


I am from takeoffs and descents,
From airline food, peanuts and pretzels                      
From gold, emeralds and tea parties,                       maine blueberries.jpeg
And picking blueberries in the wild.                       


I’m from an age of train rides                             
And candy that costs 2 cents
From playing with the dirt outside
(I swear, the best thing I ever tasted)                    
And drenching in the rain.


I’m from the Good Night Show
Every night from 6 to 8
From sunny winters
And rainy summers
And don’t forget the BFG phizzwizard.JPG
Who’s trumpet gave me the best phizzwizards
This world has ever seen.


I’m from a world of huge, green gardens
And movies every week
From pouring rain for six months straight
And slipping in red rain boots.


I’m from travelling around the world
Jumping from place to place
People always ask me where I’m from
And I always say
“I’m from all over the world .


For my Poetry Analysis, I chose my “Where I’m From” poem. `This poem is about all the places I’ve been to and have special memories from, and my mom’s memories too. I really like this poem because it makes me remember all the places I’ve been in my life (I’ve been to many). It also reminds me of the silly stories of her childhood that my mom told me. I initially wrote this because our teacher assigned it, but after, I started writing for myself, just to cherish the memories I’ve made along the way.
If we were talking about “TIME”,  then I think my poem was strong in Images. It also had some Technical aspects like line breaks and stanzas, but I, personally, think my poem created a very strong (visual) image. Like, I said, ‘’From sunny winters, And rainy summers”, now obviously, in most places, it’s a sunny summer and a rainy/snowy winter, but I’ve lived in a couple places where rainy season (Seattle) was summer and sunny was winter (California).  Also, when it’s talking about my mom, I wrote “I’m from an age of train rides, And candy that costs 2 cents” you can kind of tell that its was sometime maybe.... the 60’s or 70’s? Whenever I read this poem, I see both how different and similar my mom’s and my childhoods were.

This poem really left a mark on me. Before, I really hated poetry, but after this poem, I started to really, really like it. Now, I realize that anything can be a poem, even just plain old memories.

Comments

  1. Great descriptiveness! I think that the poem is longer than the analysis (not really, jk.) I really like how you talked about ol' times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Headache Medicine Clinical Trial

English Formative Reflection: Q1